Feed on

Monthly Archive for July, 2015

Coming Full Circle

Written by FDAC Board Member Sharifa T. Lookman ’17 This summer I have had the opportunity to research and live on campus. In addition to realizing Connecticut’s extreme humidity (who knew this was the same state that snows us in all winter!), I am enjoying the east coast’s international collections and thriving art culture. Most […]

This week’s selection for Throwback Thursday is “Circuit” from James Dickey’s Collection The Eagle’s Mile (1990). The poem was republished in The Selected Poems (1998). Wesleyan also published Buckdancer’s Choice (1965), Poems: 1957–1967 (1967), and The Whole Motion: Collected Poems, 1945–1992 (1992) Circuit Beaches, it is true: they go on       on And on, but as they ram and pack, foreseeing Around…

As part of my internship at SC&A I created finding aids for three collections. The most notable among these is the finding aid for a collection that I processed during my internship dealing with Wesleyan President James L. McConaughy, his wife Elizabeth, and son James Jr. The collection entitled, McConaughy Family Papers, details important aspects […]

Economics and government double major David Schwartz ’17 is reaching new heights with aerial photography. David, who is founder and president of the Wesleyan Radio Control/ Drone Club, has photographed many campus scenes and events from a drone. Read more about David in this Q&A: http://newsletter.blogs.wesleyan.edu/20…/…/28/schwartzdrone/

“Robert Ryan: An Actor’s Actor” Special screenings of films featuring Robert Ryan Sept. 4–10 @ Anthology Film Archives    A six-film Robert Ryan retrospective in conjunction with The Lives of Robert Ryan (Wesleyan UP) ACT OF VIOLENCE (Fred Zinnemann, 1948) September 4, 7:00 PM; September 6, 4:15 PM; September 8, 9:00 PM ON DANGEROUS GROUND (Nicholas…

Eleven Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellows delivered brief research proposal presentations July 23 in Fisk Hall. The fellows, six from Wesleyan and five from Queens College, City University of New York, spent the past two months developing their research projects with the assistance of their peers, Wesleyan faculty and Wesleyan librarians.

The Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program provides minority students and others with a demonstrated commitment to eradicating racial disparities, with support to pursue graduate degrees in the arts and sciences.

Research topics range from deconstructing African feminism to the role of political theater for a post-combat audience to trauma in Japan caused by the Atomic Bomb.

Read more about the students and their projects: http://newsletter.blogs.wesleyan.edu/2015/07/27/mellonmays/

Wesleyan’s Department of Economics hosted a conference titled “Teaching Finance at Liberal Arts Colleges” July 21-23 on campus. The Association to Advance Liberal Arts Colleges (AALAC) provided Wesleyan with a grant to support the event. 

Pictured, front row, from left: John Caskey, Swarthmore; Tom Bernardin, St. Olaf College; Matt Botsch, Bowdoin; Ben Keefer, Carleton; Liang Ding, Macalaster; Abigail Hornstein, Wesleyan; Michelle Zemel, Pomona; and Caleb Stroup, Davidson. Back row, from left: David Chapman, University of Virginia; Chris Hoag, Trinity; Xiao Jiang, Denison; Ted Burczak, Denison; Karl Boulware, Wesleyan; GianDomenico Sarolli, Drew; Michael Kelly, Lafayette; Martin Gosman, Wesleyan; Bill Gentry, Williams; and Greg Phelan, Williams.

Read more: http://newsletter.blogs.wesleyan.edu/2015/07/24/financeconference/

Calming Your Pre-College Nerves

About three years ago, I remember how anxious I was the summer before college. My mind kept racing with thoughts on whether I would like college, would I fit in, where was I living, etc. As many of you embark on your four-year journey at Wesleyan, you should keep in mind some of these helpful […]

The Portfolio and Human Resources System will be down on Saturday, 7/25/2015 from 7 AM until 10 AM for maintenance.
Steve Machuga
smachuga@wesleyan.edu

Today’s Throwback Thursday selection is “One Moon in Binoculars,” from Heather McHugh’s 1988 collection Shades. . . One Moon in Binoculars How could this homely instrument have power to pull the whole moon closer, hold ten textures in the intimacy of a glance? The silvers tremble severally splashed and sanded, spine-wise, spidery, in sharp and…

Next »