Feed on

Monthly Archive for June, 2015

A storm’s rolling in! Pictured is the view from the fourth floor of Judd Hall, June 29. Middletown, Conn. 

More than 185 Wesleyan students are employed by various campus departments over the summer. Of those, about 78 are work-study students. Students earn money that can be contributed to the cost of their education, while learning skills that will benefit them in the classroom and beyond. Employers benefit from students’ talents, insight and enthusiasm.

Andrea Vargas ’17 is spending her summer working as a student assistant for the Office of University Events and Scheduling. She also holds this job during the academic year. “I use a computer program to process information about campus events. We handle all the logistics for events, and right now I’m planning for faculty lectures that will be held next fall.”

Pictured from left, Matt Wallock ’18, Rachel Rosenman ’17 and Misha Iakovenko  ’18, are on campus this summer working as orientation interns for the Office of New Student Orientation. Rosenman, who will supervise orientation leaders during New Student Orientation (NSO) in the fall, is planning NSO activities. She also answers questions from Class of 2019 students and their parents. “We get a lot of phone calls and we do our best to make this an easy transition,” she said.

Iakovenko, who hails from Ukraine, focuses his efforts on helping fellow international students. “I spend a lot of time responding to emails from student and parents, and also having meetings with staff from Parent Programs,” he said. “We’re getting geared up for New Student Orientation and International Student Orientation.”

Wallock’s prospective majors are government and sociology; Iakovenko plans to major in computer science and minor in economics; and Rosenman is double-majoring in music and French studies.

During the year, College of Social Studies (CSS) major Ryden Nelson ‘16 is employed by the CSS and Pi Cafe, but he is working in the Office of University Communications as a publication production assistant for the summer. He helps proof and format the print media produced by the office for all the other departments on campus. “I like this job because gives me a look into how the school tries to present itself to the community and the wider public. And I’m learning a fair bit about InDesign and Photoshop when I’m working on the more creative projects.”

At left, neuroscience and behavior and Science in Society Program major Lauren Yue ’17 and East Asian studies major Abby Gruppuso ’16 are employed by the Office of Admission. This summer, they are working as student tour guides. Yue says her job allows her to meet people from all around the world. “It’s a lot of fun and I enjoy interacting with everyone I meet,” she said. Gruppuso enjoys working with parents in particular. “They’re excited to be here and they really like that their child is checking out Wesleyan.” she said.

Phoebe Keegan ’16 and her border collie Clover rest on the lawn in front of North College on June 25.

Keegan is doing a summer apprenticeship at the Quantitative Analysis Center, working with Assistant Professor of Economics Karl Boulware. Students in the QAC apprenticeship program attend morning classes and workshops in statistical analysis and statistical software, and work on a research project for the rest of the day. The program offers students experiential learning opportunities and the opportunity to support faculty research.

This summer, crews around campus are hard at work on several major maintenance and capital projects designed to support Wesleyan’s ultimate goal of creating a more interconnected and sustainable campus.

Physical Plant-Facilities seeks to foster a synergistic residential and academic experience by creating visual and functional transparency between indoor and outdoor spaces, preserving and enhancing opportunities for informal learning, improving formal learning spaces, showcasing learning and living in action, and integrating learning opportunities with Middletown. 

Landscaping projects include replacing the sidewalk in front of College Row, from Wyllys Avenue to Church Street, with a 15-foot-wide asphalt path featuring four seating vignettes; landscape improvements at Andrus Field; landscape renovation, including an outdoor learning space at the Center for the Humanities; Cross Street sidewalk replacement between Fountain Street and Pine Street; and sidewalk replacement throughout the Foss Hill complex, including steam line replacement on High Street; hot and chilled water piping replacement at the Center for the Arts; main electrical equipment replacement at Olin Memorial Library; and transformer replacement at Judd Hall.

Other projects include renovations at Pi Café; waterproofing and new flooring at the Bacon Field House; new academic and office space for the Center for Pedagogical Innovations at 116 Mount Vernon Street; laboratory renovations at Hall-Atwater, Exley Science Center, and Judd Hall; and the replacement of the penthouse roof at Exley Science Center.All projects are scheduled for completion before the start of the 2015-2016 school year.

On June 22, Christopher Weaver MALS ’75, CAS ’76 presented a seminar titled “Amplius Ludo: Beyond the Horizon” to interested students and faculty at Exley Science Center. Weaver is an author, software developer, scientist and educator. He is the founder and CEO of Bethesda Softworks, where he co-developed wildly popular games, including The Elder Scrolls role-playing series and John Madden Football for Electronic Arts. Success in these ventures has required Weaver to bring together elements of computer science, design, and storytelling. As a result, he is an expert in the special niche where science, entertainment, and education overlap.

Weaver presented a far-ranging lecture that covered everything from the Scottish Highlands, to cutting-edge neuroscience, to data caves, 3D modeling and augmented robotic surgery. His seminar made a compelling case for how the techniques and dynamics of game software are directly applicable to many other areas of social and scientific endeavor. Weaver currently teaches engineering and comparative media at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Speaking to an engaged audience, Weaver also discussed how the demanding computational and graphic requirements of the games industry has had the added benefit of making the same types of powerful hardware available for application to numerous other fields at lower cost. Weaving together his knowledge of the tools and techniques that go into making blockbuster games, Weaver demonstrated how these same techniques and tools are influencing the future of education, science, industry and society. At Wesleyan, Weaver’s studies included Japanese, computer science and physics.

Sarah Blake & Motion Poems

Sarah Blake’s poem “A Day at the Mall Reminds Me of America” from her debut poetic collection Mr. West has been featured in a short film by Ayşe Altinok. MotionPoems “catalyzes the remix of poetry with other forms to create compelling hybrid artworks,” and it is a beautiful creation at that. Watch this amazing film adaptation of…

#tbt: Old Leather Man

Today’s Throwback Thursday selection is from our 2008 book The Old Leather Man. I first learned about the Old Leather Man around 15 years ago, when I worked for Arcadia Publishing. One day, after joining the staff here at Wesleyan, I was pleasantly surprised to see a proposal for an entire book on the subject. That book, The Old…

Part of the mission of Wesleyan is to provide “an education in the liberal arts that is characterized by boldness, rigor, and practical idealism.” Those attributes come to life at the Patricelli Center, where students and alumni find real-world applications for their idealism, hone their skills as entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs, and join the legions of…

Do small gifts even matter? Megan Norris ’83 and Andrew Calica ’01 weigh in.

Do small gifts even matter? Megan Norris ’83 and Andrew Calica ’01 weigh in.

Next »