Jan. 16, 2013 by Wesleyan Alumni Community
Beasts of the Southern Wild, the indie film directed by Benh Zeitlin ’04 and produced by Michael Gottwald ’06 and Dan Janvey ’06, received Oscar nominations in a number of categories. The film is up for Best Picture, Zeitlin for Best Director; Gottwald and Janvey as producers of the Best Picture nominee.
“LOS ANGELES — Torture. Terror. Depression. Revolt. Where’s Uggie the dog when you need him?
“The 85th Academy Awards season jolted into place early Thursday morning, as the heaviest number of Oscar nominations—including nods for best picture—went to ‘Lincoln,’ about a president’s struggle with civil war; ‘Life of Pi,’ about a shipwreck survivor and a tiger…
“‘Beasts of the Southern Wild,’ about a child’s encounters with rising floodwaters in the South, and ‘Zero Dark Thirty,’ about the murky pursuit of a national enemy, also scored heavily and were nominated for best picture.
“But the morning’s real surprise was a triple snub in the best director category…”
Image: via Wikipedia.
- Video: Beasts – A Reel Progress screening and discussion
- 9 Films Vie for Best Picture Oscar; ‘Lincoln’ Tops With 12 Nominations
- Zeitlin ’04 wins Gotham for ‘Beasts’; nominations for Spirit Awards
- Janvey ’06, Zeitlin ’04 on Campus for Q&A on Indie Filmmaking
- Conversation: ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ triumphs at Sundance and Cannes
- ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ by Zeitlin ’04 is NYT critics pick
- New Film Curator McCarty Mounts First Exhibit on Beasts
- ‘Silver Linings Playbook,’ ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ Dominate Independent Spirit Awards Nominations